New 3 year tenancy proposal could see London tenants losing out

The government is proposing an increase to the length of minimum lettings agreements. If the change in regulation comes into effect, tenants will be able to secure a minimum 3-year tenancy term, with a 6-month break clause for tenants and landlords.

The change has been proposed by the Secretary of State for Communities, Rt Hon James Brokenshire MP in a bid to provide people who rent in the private sector more stability whilst also providing landlords more financial security.

Government data suggests that tenants stay in their rented homes an average of nearly 4 years, however over 80% of rental contracts are shorthold with a minimum fixed term of 6 or 12 months. The government report states that “this can lead to tenants feeling insecure, unable to challenge poor property standards for fear of tenancies being terminated, and unable to plan for their future or contribute to their wider community.” However, London property agent LiFE Residential says that this may not suit their tenants, who actually prefer shorter tenancy terms.

Jonathan Werth, Managing Director for LiFE Residential, says:

“This change could be great for landlords, but if it’s made compulsory for standard AST tenancies then tenants may lose out. London tenants are far more transient and on the most part will want the ability to leave after a year or so; at LiFE the average tenancy length of our clients is 19 months. As agents, the shortest term we offer is 6 months, but we do receive enquiries of people looking for 3 month tenancies. Equally, we’d be happy to secure longer tenancies and indeed can do it now if both parties want.”

As well as more financial stability for landlords, longer terms may help them reduce vacant periods whilst searching for new tenants whilst the break-clause can offer them the flexibility to regain their properties, should their circumstances change. However, if the legislation goes ahead there would need to be consideration to scenarios such as students or multiple occupancy properties.

The plan has been published under an 8 week consultation period, specifically looking at overcoming the barriers to landlords offering longer tenancies until August 26.

Shared by: Stephanie Tabah – Stephanie.Tabah@venndigital.co.uk

EAN Content

Content shared by this account is either news shared free by third parties or sponsored (paid for) content from third parties. Please be advised that links to third party websites are not endorsed by Estate Agent Networking - Please do your own research before committing to any third party business promoted on our website. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

You May Also Enjoy

Breaking News

Rental demand remains resilient in 2026

The latest research from Benham and Reeves has found that around a quarter of all rental homes currently listed across Britain have already secured a tenant, highlighting continued underlying demand despite ongoing regulatory uncertainty. Benham and Reeves analysed current rental market listings to highlight current rental demand, the size of rental properties currently most in-demand…
Read More
Breaking News

Buy-to-let lending growth matches FTBs and homemovers

The latest market analysis from Alexander Hall has revealed that buy-to-let mortgage lending has grown at an average quarterly rate of 7% over the last year, matching the pace of growth seen across both first-time buyer and home movers, as improving mortgage market conditions continue to support borrowing demand for rental properties. Alexander Hall analysed…
Read More
Rightmove logo
Breaking News

Prices stand still in February but still strongest start to a year for prices since 2020

The average price of newly listed homes for sale is virtually flat in February , down by just £12 (-0.0%) to £368,019 Despite the standstill in prices in February, January’s record asking price increase for the time of year means that it is still the strongest start to a year for asking prices since 2020,…
Read More
to let sign 2025
Breaking News

Game-changing online letting platform set to slash landlord costs

New AI-enabled technology service promises to save London landlords thousands A new online letting platform is set to disrupt the capital’s property management sector, offering landlords significant savings per property. Prop247, launching this month, combines cutting-edge technology with on-the-ground agents to deliver what its founders claim is the UK’s first truly end-to-end remote letting service,…
Read More
Breaking News

Breaking Property News 13/2/26

Daily bite-sized proptech and property news in partnership with Proptech-X.   96% of proptechs fail to get to series A funding – here is why Thought Leadership by Andrew Stanton, CEO Proptech-PR The proptech sector has never been short of ideas. From AI-driven valuations and digital conveyancing to smart buildings and tokenised real estate, innovation in property…
Read More
Breaking News

Landlords unprepared for the Renters’ Rights Act

Three quarters have made no preparations for the end of Section 21, despite major reforms taking effect from May 2026 New research from Inventory Base has revealed widespread lack of preparedness among UK landlords ahead of the first phase of reforms under the Renters’ Rights Act (RRA), due to come into force on 1 May…
Read More