Shelter’s response to the government’s English Housing Survey
January 26, 2018
Find below Shelter’s response to the government’s English Housing Survey, which show:
- Overall: 63% of English households are homeowners, 20% are private renters and 17% are social renters.
- Renters: The number of households that are private renting has risen by 74% in the last ten years (2007 – 2016/17).
- There has been a particularly large rise in families with children in private rented sector over last ten years, with a million more now compared to ten years ago (800K in 2006/7 to 1.8m 2016/17).
- Home ownership: The number of home owners with a mortgage has fallen by 20% over the last ten years, while the total number of households who now own outright has risen by 21% in the last ten years.
- Affordability: The average proportion of income being spent on rent by private renters is now 41%. By comparison, mortgaged households pay on average 19% of income.
Polly Neate, chief executive of Shelter, said: “With the number of renters having risen substantially over the past decade, it’s time to start paying attention to the needs of people who rent long term, not just those who have a chance to own.
“It would be a mistake to focus on homeownership for the minority at the expense of families left to suffer expensive and insecure private renting.
“To give renters a better deal, the government must make good on its promise to massively increase the number of affordable homes available for ordinary families to rent.”
Source of information Shelter.
You May Also Enjoy
Daily bite-sized proptech and property news in partnership with Proptech-X. Birchgrove and Hybr launch intergenerational living scheme A unique partnership will see students, key workers and retirees live together at new north London retirement development. Birchgrove, the UK’s leading provider of rented retirement homes, and Hybr, the UK’s leading student letting platform, today announce an industry-first…Read More →
Roger Bates Properties stands out as a prominent real estate agency that offers a myriad of benefits to individuals seeking to buy, sell, or invest in real estate. With a stellar reputation and a commitment to excellence, choosing Roger Bates Properties can prove to be a decision that yields numerous advantages. 1. Experience and Expertise…Read More →
The average 5-year fixed mortgage rate is now 4.80%, up from 4.59% a year ago The average 2-year fixed mortgage rate is now 5.15%, up from 4.92% a year ago The average 85% LTV 5-year fixed mortgage rate is now 4.73%, up from 4.64% a year ago The average 60% LTV 5-year fixed mortgage rate is now 4.30%, up from 4.25% a year ago The average monthly mortgage payment on a…Read More →
Ahead of the Spring Budget on March 6th, the UK’s biggest property website Rightmove suggests three policy reforms that could help people moving home: A reform of stamp duty to consider regional property price variations: Only 4% of homes in London are stamp duty exempt for all buyers, compared to 71% in the North East Less than…Read More →
Daily bite-sized proptech and property news in partnership with Proptech-X. Alto reveals ‘next generation’ of Lettings Progression Alto, software for estate agents and part of Houseful, has revealed further information about the improvements being rolled out in 2024 to drive a step change in business efficiency for letting agents. Leading the way is a…Read More →
What comes into your mind when you hear about parquet flooring? Most probably Victorian era, historic estates, grand ballrooms, and grand mansions but what if I tell you that the parquet flooring has redefined itself with warmth, texture, and classic elegance? Parquet flooring in contemporary homes is a delight to the eyes because when you…Read More →