The different types of landlord insurance for flats

If you are a landlord, you are almost certain to know about the importance of buy to let insurance – which protects both the property itself and the business you are running from it.

You might, however, face some confusion about the nature of landlord insurance for flats that you require. It all depends on whether the purchase was leasehold or freehold.

There are also many different types of flats that you will need to pick out. If you’re a student, it’s probably ideal to look at a flatshare to cut costs. A flatshare reduces your rent but still lets you live in a great home fit for you. is a great option if looking for cheap student accommodation in London for instance.

Landlord insurance for flats

If you are a leaseholder

If you are the leaseholder, you typically pay a ground rent to the freeholder, together with a maintenance or service charge, in accordance with the terms of the lease.

The housing charity Shelter explains that the latter is designed to cover the maintenance and upkeep of the structure and fabric of the building, its exterior features, common areas (such as lobbies, staircases and hallways), and maintenance of any surrounding gardens or grounds.

Also included in that charge is the cost of the building insurance paid by the freeholder.

As a leaseholder you need to check the terms of your lease and verify that the appropriate building insurance is paid by the freeholder – so you can rest assured that that element of protection is safely covered.

Right to Manage insurance

An exception may arise if the majority of the leaseholders in the block you have bought have decided to exercise their Right to Manage (RTM) and set up the relevant company through which to do so.

In this case, specialist Right to Manage insurance will be required.

Your contribution to the cost of building insurance is again included in the regular service charge paid to the Right to Manage company.

Although essential building insurance may be taken care of in this way, you are still responsible for arranging appropriate landlord insurance for flats to provide cover for:

  • the contents you own in the let property;

  • indemnity against your landlord liability – in the event that a tenant, one of their visitors, or a member of the public is injured or has their property damaged and holds you responsible; and

  • compensation for loss of rental income if the flat becomes temporarily uninhabitable – and, therefore, unlettable, following its damage from a major insured event.

If you own the freehold

If you are the freeholder of a flat or flats – within a converted property or a block of flats, for example – your landlord insurance takes on a different dimension.

As the freeholding landlord, you are responsible for arranging the building insurance which protects the exterior and the structure and fabric of the whole property. You are also responsible for the costs of maintenance and for the upkeep of any grounds or gardens. They are costs which you might want to pass on to your tenants by way of the rent you charge.

Once again, your landlord insurance for flats also has the option to incorporate cover for the contents you own – including furnishings and fittings in any common areas – provision for indemnity against any landlord liability claims, and compensation for loss of rental income in the event of a major insured incident which leaves the flat or flats temporarily uninhabitable pending repairs and reinstatement.

EAN Content

Content shared by this account is either news shared free by third parties or sponsored (paid for) content from third parties. Please be advised that links to third party websites are not endorsed by Estate Agent Networking - Please do your own research before committing to any third party business promoted on our website.

You May Also Enjoy

Letting Agent Talk

How to Be an Awesome Landlord in 2022

Some people may view being a landlord as an easy way to make money, but there’s much more to it if you want to truly excel in this role. The best landlords always go above and beyond to provide comfortable homes for their tenants and make them feel as welcomed as possible. Indeed, to be…
Read More
Property for sale
Estate Agent Talk

Selling Your House? Here’s What You Need To Do

Selling your house is a big decision. It’s not something you do every day or even every year. So, when the time comes to sell, you want to make sure you’re doing it right. That means getting the best possible price for your home and making the process as smooth and stress-free as possible. So,…
Read More
Estate Agent Talk

What Are The Factors To Appreciates The Real Estate Property Prices

Are you planning to sell your home? Are you buying a home? Whatever the scenario is, there are some things that you need to look after. In case you are selling your house, you have to set the price on the basis of those factors, or you need to ensure that all these things are…
Read More
Breaking News


A roundup of the week’s top property and proptech news stories in partnership with Proptech-X   Table of ContentsHide On The Market: Housing market starts to rebalance as remarkable buyer and seller confidence prevails Renting to Students: TDS Poll Confirms Common Issues and Reasons for Disputes in Student Lets LexisNexis and Coadjute partner speeding property market…
Read More
Estate Agent Talk

How can Cash House Buying Agencies thrive in 2022?

Like many other industries in the world, the UK property market is constantly evolving. Industry players therefore need to keep a keen eye on the key markers that define the state of the industry. As 2022 ushers in new changes and realities, industry players like cash house buying agencies need to arm themselves with current…
Read More
composite gates
Home and Living

Composite Garden Fencing / Gates – Pros & Cons

As much as many of us enjoy great relationships with our neighbours, we do also relish privacy between our properties / boundaries. Years ago I remember rows of gardens with no more that a wire fence with wooden posts separating each with some having missing sections and even those totally without. Many neighbours would have…
Read More