One of the most popular social media channels is Instagram which was founded by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger in California 2010. Since that time Facebook went on to purchase the fast growing image driven platform for a cool $1 billion in 2013 (cash and shares transaction). In June 2018 it is stated that there was around 1 billion active monthly users enjoying Instagram.
So something like one seventh of the world’s population is on Instagram regularly – Well OK, let us take out the spam accounts, business accounts and people like me who have more than one account, surely we can arrive at a figure of at least 500 million plus? Whatever you take on the final amount, Instagram is a massive communication channel for any business looking to share photos and videos which many Estate Agencies are very much in this field.
Many properties are on that photo that speaks a thousand words, the likes of Zoopla and Rightmove thrive on showcasing to consumers wonderful looking properties that entice click-throughs and ultimate an enquiry to the payer / agency in question.
Instagram is a great social media platform for the estate agency industry, how can we make sure we use it to its maximum potential? Here are some guidelines:
- Choose a good username. You may not get your exact agency name for it is likely already to have been taken on your name is too long (30 symbols is max).
- Brand your account professionally and use your description wisely. Make sure you use your company logo as your profile image, your description tells other users what you do, your location and your URL.
- List regularly and wisely. Make sure that all your property listings you add to Instagram along with relevant descriptions and hashtags. Choose either the best photo or a selection of the best photos (up to 10 photos per post).
- Showcase the best and not the worst. Invest in great photography when sharing on Instagram. Millions of photos are shared daily so stand out from the crowd with great images, in the best possible light (edited if needed) and with the best descriptions.
- Choose a theme or two to compliment your account. Think outside the box and not just about your property listings – choose additional themes to increase popularity of your account and likelihood of gaining new followers. Ideas such as local architecture, local parks, antiques, interior design and more can help increase interest in your account and give you the opportunity to expand your reach via keywords / hashtags on your posts.
- Check out Instagram filters. You can not only upload your photos as they are, Instagram enables filters so you can attempt to enhance photos.
Author: Christopher Walkey
Founder of Estate Agent Networking and an internationally invited speaker on how to build online target audiences using Twitter and LinkedIn.