8 Must Action Twitter Tips for Tweeting Success
I love Twitter personally and just in the last few days, boy oh boy has it got interesting thanks to @ElonMusk! For me, Twitter is the breaking news channels, the place for quick fire debates, feedback, comments and much more – It is vibrant, alive and kicking even though it has over the last couple of years been heavily criticised for their left wing political stance, restricting freedom of speech and even being increasingly accused of manipulating the reach of stories for political reasons during an election. As Twitter opens up once again to be a free speech platform for all opinions and all sides, for sure the debates and discussions will only increase!
For business then I would say Twitter is very much a different animal in how it works and needs to be used. For those of us tweeting as a business, over those mixing business with pleasure, in most sectors we will have industry updates and content to share which will be a far distance away from hot politics and heated news stories. Businesses will be sharing their company’s latest, how to content, promotions, press release and more.
For business to thrive on Twitter, outside of paid ad campaigns, you have to deliver regular content and the type of which will engage, educate and entertain your target audience. Gaining followers will be down to you being worthy to be followed – Gaining followers will also depend on how much promotion of your account you do outside of Twitter itself.
What can we do to improve our results from using Twitter? Let us take a look at key marketing tips for Twitter:
- Have an optimised account: You should make sure that your account is highly relevant to your business profile with consistency on brand / logo / colours. A profile description that clearly informs others to who you are. A correct URL to your business website. If possible, though increasingly difficult, secure as close to as possible your business name as your profile ID @ABCFinance for example. Lastly, if you can, try and verify your Twitter account which gives you a blue tick alongside your profile name and helps to build trust – How to verify yourself on Twitter.
- Use Hashtags: Try to, as and when applicable, to use hashtags within your tweets such as ‘Find out more about our #mortageadvice for #firsttimebuyers in the UK #property scene.” By adding hashtags your important keywords will be easier to find in Twitter search.
- Share-able content: We all know the power of likes & retweets and generally these are given out to tweets which people find useful, funny, factual and basically worthy of sharing. By tweeting out content that gains plenty of engagement not only triggers Twitter in to action presenting your content at the forefront of relevant keyword searches, but retweets themselves mean you are not only reaching out to your own network, but also to the networks of those retweeting rather like a viral marketing situation. Do not forget, Tweets with big engagement are also presented sometimes within search results of Google!
- Keywords: Twitter is not only a live feed of news and comments (tweets) it is also a great database of searchable content. When you tweet you are advised to use as many keywords as possible (do not forget to hashtag them). The key is is to balance out great content with keywords, keeping people engaged and yet at the same time building your presence on Twitter.
- Engage: Try not to remain standing at the bar alone and by this I mean that you should involve yourself in other tweets by way of liking, retweeting and commenting. There will be countless conversations going on surrounding the sector of business you are in and it does pay you back well to engage with these discussions. This should extend to praising people, giving positive feedback, answering questions, giving advice and more. Try and share useful links too even if they are via third party websites, not everything you tweet out needs to be evolving around your brand and your brand alone.
- Go Live: You can post out live video streams to Twitter by simply going live via your mobile phone or you can also use third party video streaming software such as Streamyard. People like to tune in to live content especially if it is an interesting feed ie you live broadcasting from a large industry trade event or talking live to camera whilst showcasing a property for sale.
- Add visual content too: Do not forget that you can add visual content to tweets ie photos, infographics, video clips and these will generally fair better than tweets without. I am surprised at the amount of tweets of a property for sale that do not include any images!
- Polls: Use this feature and especially when certain topics are trending. A poll really engages other users and especially if it is regarding an important and current subject, get people to vote and ideally comment too.