The Tenants’ Top Household Issues

If you are a landlord, or an estate agent acting on behalf of a property owner, then you probably know all too well about some of the more regular complaints from tenants in the property. For those that privately rent their living space, they do so knowing that any household defects such as wear and tear are the responsibility of the landlord to fix.

Of course, when there is evidence that any issues are of the result of neglect and simply not looking after the property, the tenant then becomes responsible. Aside from this, though, it is the duty of the landlord to ensure all repairs are taken care of.

So what are the most common issues that tenants will report to their landlord or estate agent?

Image source: Pixabay


Possibly the most common issue that estate agents are called for is the presence of damp in the abode. There are a number of common causes of damp, some of which can be attributed to the tenant (such as if they don’t allow the home to ventilate, resulting in a build-up of condensation).

Many other causes, such as dry and wet rot, may not be picked up on as easily and could be of no fault of the tenant at all. Specialists such as Avant Garde Damp Proofing would be required to come in and inspect the property before establishing whether potentially invasive and expensive work would be repaired.

Broken Boiler

Who hasn’t woken up to a broken boiler, leaving them with no heating or hot water? These things happen and need immediate attention, especially if the tenant is responsible for an infant. As part of a landlord’s insurance, plumbing should be covered so as not to result in highly expensive repair work.

Often, though, a broken boiler can be an easy fix. Whether it is a case that the boiler isn’t igniting or there is a separate issue altogether, a boiler is usually a quick fix. If the tenant works full-time or is simply unable to be at home, however, you may have to request that the third party is allowed onto the property with a set of keys provided by the landlord or estate agent.

Doors and Windows

Doors and windows deteriorate over time, as anything does, and could require either replacing or framework. If there is evidence that any damage has come as a result of robust use, the landlord would be well within their right to request the tenant is responsible for the repairs.


Leaks can occur for a number of reasons in the property, such as a faulty roofing system, burst water pipes or a blocked system resulting in overflowing water. If it is indeed an issue with the roofing or a burst water pipe, the chances are that it is going to be of no fault to the tenant.

If, however, an issue has been identified before the tenancy agreement has been signed and the tenant is aware of this, the landlord may not be responsible for the repairs. This is because the tenant has signed into an agreement aware of prior issues.

EAN Content

EAN Content

Content shared by this account is either news shared free by third parties or sponsored (paid for) content from third parties. Please be advised that links to third party websites are not endorsed by Estate Agent Networking - Please do your own research before committing to any third party business promoted on our website.

You May Also Enjoy