How to Get Compensation for Tenancy Deposit Claims

Are you wondering how to claim compensation if your tenancy deposit wasn’t safe accurately? Then, read this article as I’m going to discuss a few steps for you to follow.

Check If You Can Claim Compensation

First and foremost, you need to figure out if you are eligible to claim for compensation or not. If yes, then you can directly ask your landlord for settlement. If your landlord refuses to pay, you can receive 1x to 3x the deposit amount. However, if you are not eligible to claim for compensation, you can still ask your landlord to return you the deposit amount.

Look For Legal Assistance

The legal matters are complicated, so it is brainy on your end to get legal advice. A solicitor who holds expertise in making tenancy deposit claims can guide you better. It is recommended to hire a lawyer. Otherwise, you don’t stand a chance to get a deposit claim. Currently, a few of the legal providers are offering services on ‘no win no fee’ condition. So it is financially safe to acquire legal support and increase the chances of getting your deposit.

Collect Evidence to Back Your Case

To make a successful tenancy deposit claim, you need to gather evidence such as a copy of tenancy agreement, letters to landlord, letters from a landlord, the receipt of the deposit you paid, complete record of monthly rentals, and printouts of materials you have searched online on the tenancy deposit. This way, you can undoubtedly support your case in the court of law.

Send a Formal Letter

If you are aiming to make a tenancy deposit compensation claim, then you need to handle a few things beforehand. A court is no easy place to survive. Hence, it is sensible to follow a specific process before you legally take any action. You need to send a letter to your landlord before you begin with a court claim. You should use a suitable template letter to discuss your situation. Your landlord or his agents may try to contact you after they have received a letter from your side. Try to settle the matter outside the court to avoid any legal expenses.

Request for Court Help

If you are unable to settle things on your end, then it’s the right time for you to work on a tenancy deposit claim. Apply to the court and ask for legal support to get you what you deserve. To make a formal request, you need to carefully complete the form. There is a guide available online on how to complete the form. So you don’t have to worry, just follow the guidelines. You can either download a form or pick it up directly from the local court.

Furthermore, you have to attach the evidence and copies of relevant documents with the form. For instance, it can include a copy of the tenancy agreement, deposit receipt, letters or emails, and details of TDS (tenancy deposit scheme), etc. Next, you have to send in the forms to your local county court and pay required court fees.

Consider an Offer to Settle

Once you have forwarded your case in the court of law, the legal body will send a copy of your claim to your landlord. Primarily, he has been given two options. Firstly, he can agree with what you’ve claimed and try to pay you in full or partial. Secondly, he can make an offer to settle things with you on good terms. If you are satisfied with what he has to offer you, then you can withdraw your claim.

EAN Content

Content shared by this account is either news shared free by third parties or sponsored (paid for) content from third parties. Please be advised that links to third party websites are not endorsed by Estate Agent Networking - Please do your own research before committing to any third party business promoted on our website.

You May Also Enjoy